Monday, January 19, 2009

*cough cough splatter splatter* (Wednesday 14th January)

Yep - you guessed it, both Dan and I have been down with a particularly nasty cold.    While we're at least on the mend now, both of us are still feeling a bit sorry for ourselves - well, at lest I am.  If I had been in Australia, I would have called up sick for today and yesterday, but while I'm in Japan I can only take sick leave if I go to a doctor and I really didn't have the energy for that!  


I found some pretty good drugs at a chemist and grocery store.  All I had to do was recognise a few Japanese words associated with colds to choose cold and flu tablets.  (Some of the translations are great too:  nose water, jam nose...)  


I guess as jobs go, this one isn't too difficult to stay with it even when I'm not well.  I feel like my head's stuffed with cotton wool and I'm talking through my nose, but I can't really hear my voice as my ears are blocked too.  I guess I haven't done too much wrong or someone would have told me to go home - no wait, this is Japan, you only have a day off work if you're dying.


I feel like I should be wearing a mask like all the other sick people, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  It's just way too strange for me.  I wonder if they are looking at me saying," if you wore a mask you'd keep those nasty germs to yourself!!"    


Hopefully in a day or two I will be fine, and until then I'll try to keep it together at work and do my dying at home.  


I also wonder if our neighbours are sick of our coughing too...  the walls are pretty thin and we certainly get sick of listening to their toddler running up and down the apartment.  Then again, some things you are better off not knowing!   




What colour do gaijin turn when they're sick?


I must have looked pretty sick on Friday because they did send me home!  I decided to go to the doctors (I didn't want to use my holiday pay for a sick day!).  


But 3 days off work did wonders and I'm pretty much back to my old self now.  


No comments: