Saturday, September 20, 2008

Things I'm getting used to...







I borrowed a book from the library today about gaijin (foriegners) and had quite a laugh, so I thought I'd add a few of the pictures to this. And, yes, I have been in all these situations!

It also got me to thinking about how I'm becoming more accostomed to these things.... here are some other examples.....

While shopping:
  • Putting my own groceries into plastic bags
  • Not handing the cashier the money but putting it in the little tray provided
  • Getting a plastic bag - even when I buy one thing and don't need one (Japan is good at recycling but not the "reduce" aspect)

Regarding shoes:
  • Taking my shoes off as soon as I get home (in Aus it was usually the third thing: go to the toilet, get a drink, take off shoes - now it's the first - even before putting on the air conditioner!)
  • Changing into indoor shoes at work - eventhough they don't go with what I'm wearing (often you will see people wearing a nice shirt and pants with socks and thongs...it just seems wrong)
  • Not wearing shoes in a changeroom at shops (the look of horror is the giveaway - they reserve a look just for shoe violations)

At home:
  • Not doing my cleaning at midnight (the walls are rather thin)
  • Airing my futon once a week or so or whenever I remember
  • Mail arriving on weekends
  • Sorting and putting out garbage (can only put out certain garbage on certain days)

Out and about:
  • Taking an umbrella every time I go out
  • Seeing kids in their school uniform on weekends
  • Being stared at
  • Random coming up to me and saying "hello" and/or practising their English on me
  • Squat toilets
  • Not automatically using the wrong escalator - I'm sure they're the wrong way around, I keep expecting the up one to go down and the down one to go up
  • Not walking across pedestrian crossing unless there is a green signal (pedestrian crossings are at traffic lights and you can't cross if there's a red signal) although I'm still working out when to walk at other times - people give way to me when I'm not expecting it and often don't when I thought they would..... yes, very confusing.
  • Ignoring noises - ok, still working on this one, there's noise everywhere - traffic lights play music when you can walk, there's music at stations, in shops, at school (different tunes for different times of the day), trucks driving around selling stuff (I presume)
  • Seeing dogs with pretty clips on thier ears being walked by their owner - literally! Owners often carry their dog!!
  • People laughing at my accent!

No comments: