Saturday, October 4, 2008

Japan - the country of the long weekend!

It's funny listening to all you Aussies talking about the long weekend. Anyone would think you don't have many. I on the other hand am not feeling the need for a public holiday as I feel I just had lots. I checked my diary, and it not only feels like I've had lots, I have had 2 long weekends last month and having another one next weekend!

It seems that in Japan people often go away for weekends, rather than taking time off work and going on a holiday. So, I guess this suits the Japanese lifestyle and work ethic. Remember too that traveling in Japan isn't as time consuming as traveling in Australia. Apparently it's unusual for people to spend more than one night at a hot spring, which is a very popular destination.

The thing that really amuses me is that people go away for a weekend (overnight) and buy souvenirs for all they friends or colleagues!

Incidentally I counted the public holidays in Japan and in Australia. 17:10 our (Japan's) win.

So enjoy your long weekend, don't sleep it all away.. enjoy it because it's a long time until your next one!! I've got 3 public holidays next month too!

1 comment:

Stirl said...

Maybe I should visit Japan, is there a catch like a 6 day working week or something?