Monday, August 11, 2008

Americans, food and tatami bugs....

Actually I've got nothing interesting to write, I just thought I'd write a few lines because I don't feel like making dinner.

I now have internet! I thought it was difficult to organise a plan and understand what they were saying when they spoke English. Now when they speak Japanese - that's really difficult! In between a few different staff and a nifty computer on display that could translate Japanese/English we organised something. I have internet, it works, at the end of the day that was really what mattered.

That means I'll be much easier to catch - in between Skype, facebook, email and photos I put on Picasa everyone should be able to keep in touch. I'll be sending an email with some of these details in it, but if you have any probs let me know.

On a cultural note:
Have you noticed how loudly Americans talk? It is like they have no awareness of the situation and their level of noise. I'm wondering if they just talk at the same level no matter the situation. I do occasionally feel a little conspicuous walking down a street (or through a shop or on a bus) with them . I wonder what the Japanese people think about these gaijin (foreigners) who talk so loudly in another language.

I mentioned this to the other Aussie, he laughed and agreed , so it's not just me :)

Japanese people are really nice. I'm impressed that they never give off the "I'm sick of dealing with this person who can't even speak properly" vibe. The salesmen who assisted me with organising internet for me were so patient. They always come across as wanting to help as much as they can, and nothing is too much trouble. I think Australian's sometimes let those negative feelings show when dealing with customers.

A number of people have asked me if I like Vegemite. I typically give a "oh, yeah, it's not bad" type answer, but I'm thinking of changeing that to be a little more affirmative. Especially as I thought Vegemite on toast would have been really nice this morning, or even better, a cheesy-mite scroll from Baker's Delight (Ben, have one for me sometime). It would appear that Vegemite and Tim Tams are seen to be our iconic foods in Australia.

While we're on the topic of food.. I bought a loaf of bread yesterday; 6 slices, no crusts and slightly sweet. Still, it was nice for a bit of variety.

I guess the only other item of interest is that it would seem that I have bugs in my tatami mats. Tatami mats are very finely woven from some sort of reed. They are made into mats which cover the floors in the bedrooms. Unfortunately there are a few drawbacks to having them: you can't leave a futon (matress) on the floor, but have to put it away every day so that it doesn't get mouldy; it's rather delicate so you have to be really careful about what furniture you put on it; it's really not a good idea to spill food or drinks on it and yes, they sometimes have bugs. They are microscopic but do bit (equivalent to a mozzie or flea bite). My supervisor bought me some "Danni killer", so we'll see how well I follow the picture instructions and hopefully I don't need to know any of the written instructions!

While writing this has been rather fun (as always), I'm starting to get hungry and no-one else is offering to cook me dinner (where's a husband when you need one?). So, I'll catch you all later!

No comments: