Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fireworks! - Wednesday night


It's definitely been a busy few days. Between work, walking and doing some touristy activities on the side I've only just had enough sleep to keep going.

How many photos of fireworks do you need to take to get a good one? Lets say 50? I've probably got half a dozen good photos of the fireworks I saw last night! How long do you need to watch fireworks to get half a dozen good shots? I think it ended up being about an hour of continuous fireworks. Lots of fireworks! In the last 2 weeks that I've been here I've seen more fireworks than I've seen in my entire life! I think Japanese people like their fireworks!


I caught the train (I've never been on a train so crowded!) to a suburb (town? city?) on the water, a river I think. On the other side of the river is another suburb, both of which let off fireworks, competing with each other. So it was quite an impressive display. What I found more interesting was that so many people would dress up, squish onto trains and go watch an hour of fireworks all on a Wednesday night. It seems that they turn everything into a festival which involves lots of dressing up in kimonos, food and drink stalls and fireworks. As a result the atmosphere was amazing. People sat down where ever there was space and ooohed and ahhhed with the fireworks. Then the fireworks ended, we all lined up to file into the station and onto the train.

I'm anticipating that while I'm in Japan I may very well become quite good at taking photos of fireworks!!

No comments: