Wednesday, August 6, 2008

some unedited snapshots....

Sunday Lunchtime

But what do I do now? More writing??

I'm looking forward to working and actually getting into a routine.

I think everyone knows me at the local Big W-type store. I had to get them to order in another curtain and went in yesterday to pick it up (I've had my first Japanese phone call – they rang me when it was ready for me to come in. The conversation went something like this:

“Hello?”
“Mushi-mushi” (Japanese hello used when on the phone)
“Mushi-mishi”
“Blah blah blah curtains blah blah”
“Hai” (Yes)
“Blah blah blah”
“Hai, arigato gozimas” (yes, thanks)

I forget where it went after that but you get the general idea. Fortunately in Japan “hai” can mean “yes, I'm listening.”

I guess I could have said to the first person I came to in the shop, “Hi, I'm Naomi.” Instead we tried to explain that I had asked for curtains and they were ready for me to pick up. After a few minutes they said, “Ah, Naomi-sama?” It was easy after that ;) (sama = very respectful)

I had a great little chat with my family – it was really good to feel that I was part of everything which they were dong. Intellectually I knew they hadn't forgotten about me, but it was good to really feel that. Thanks guys.

Later in the afternoon we (me and another guy from Sydney who lives close by) went to a festival. It was amazing how involved the whole community was in the festival. Lots of parades, dancing, yummy food and cups of flavoured ice. Lots of people were dressed up in kimonos and other traditional dress.

I've often heard about how clean Japan is, and while there has not been much rubbish lying around, I only really realised this yesterday at the festival. There were any number of people (adults, children, teenagers all dressed up!) who walked around with a green plastic bag and a pair of tongs, picking up rubbish. Actually there wasn't much around so often it was tiny bits of rubbish like cigarette butts. When the rubbish bin were full, they would neatly stack the rubbish on top. So, everything you've heard about Japan's cleanliness is probably true!

Back to the first question – What do I do now?

I'm very aware that my entertainment in finite. I just finished “Ender's Game” and I now only have one book left! I've slowly been watching Star Gate, but once again, I don't have that much left. One the bright side there were a number of puzzles at my Big-W -like store, which I'm thinking might be a good way to pass the time. I guess that will take up my one item of furniture (dining room table), but it's for a good cause.

There are so few distractions here that I've been washing my dishes after cooking and regularly washing my clothes and stuff. Then again the regular washing has probably got more to do with the fact that I sweat so much I can only wear anything once and I only have 4 coat hangers to dry it on. Washing machine is not real big either!

Anyway, hope this fills in some gaps, I will try and find an internet cafe to put this on the blog.



Monday

Air con was installed today and none too soon. I spent the morning sleeping on and off with a headache, but fine now, especially since it's a bit cooler in here now.

I ended up buying a puzzle yesterday with a picture from Evangelion (an anime series). It's a little hard, but I'm really enjoying it. It will keep me busy for the week at least.

Almost time to start making dinner. Hopefully it will turn out all right – I don't know how to cook the noodles (instructions are in Japanese). I found a piece of fish to go with it, maybe tuna or salmon, but I'm not sure if it's been cooked/smoked/marinated..... or still raw. Hmm, I guess we'll be doing some improvising!

1 comment:

Christine said...

OK - I was full of pride - I lost the original message!!! Maybe third time lucky? Good to know you've arrived in one piece although still trying to locate your legs. Well done! buying curtains in an amazing accomplishment and bodes well for negotiating all that is still to come, not least of which trying to make sense of a culture which is SO different from here in Australia. I'm sorry to hear about your grandad but it is great that you saw him before you left. I gather Daniel is searching out appropriate clothes to attend the funeral service. I hope he copes as they are never easy events. It appears that it must be hot and humid where you are to need the air con (Grandma H. didn't know what you were talking about - I had to explain it meant 'air conditioner') I hope it is not as bad as Tonga where you get out of the shower, dry and dress yourself and then feel as though you have wet yourself. You never stop sweating, copiously.Please take care of yourself and now I have discovered the land of blogging I'll keep an eye out for your diary entries although I am sure they will be less when you are into a regular routine. Luv, from the Moimois and Grandma H.