Monday, August 18, 2008

Implicit trust...

It's the technical things that are difficult - like asking for a cream to make itchy mozzie bites not itch. Actually it ended up not being too difficult, I did what any of the English students at Mission Australia would do and just showed the shop assistant the bites (good thing they were just on my legs!) and gave a "please help me" look. So she gave me a cream, which I hope is what I was after. The only words I can read on the cream are: cream and tube - I could guess that! What's more, there are no pictures on it! How am I supposed to know what it is?!

The real challenge was asking the shop assistant if they had any insect repellent.... I didn't get very far with that. In the end I smiled and said "arigato gosimasu" (thankyou), paid and left. Definately wasn't worth the effort to explain. I have been looking for insect repellent for the last few days without any success. The closest I found looked ok, but the container said "insecticide" I decided that it wasn't really worth the risk. I'll keep looking.

So, regardless of what the cream is called, what the instructions and warnings are, I put it on, blissfully ignorant and hope for the best.

The mozzies here are really nasty! They are not just maddeningly itchy, they also really hurt when you scratch them and have been keeping me awake at night. Lesson to be learnt: Don't go walking in the bush just after it rains.

Oh and for anyone who's not an Aussie - mozzies are mosquitoes.

No comments: